The Hidden Dangers of Consuming Chlorinated Water
Chlorine destroys vitamin B, C and E. Its potential dangers are linked to high cholesterol deposits, heart attacks, strokes, kidney/respiratory damage and even cancer. Chlorine causes cholesterol to be deposited in arteries. Furthermore, chlorine reacts with humic acid from decaying matter to form cancer-causing Trihalomethanes (THMs).
Medical experts worldwide now link serious illness to drinking water containing chlorine and other pollutants.
“Cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine.”– U.S. Council of Environmental Quality
Do We Still Need to Boil Water?
Our forefathers boiled water before drinking because in those days, the main sources of water were from wells, streams and rivers.
Without chlorination, the water in these sources contain bacteria. Hence, at that time, boiling was essential to eliminate bacteria.
In modern times, chlorine is added into water by the water authorities to eliminate bacteria. Since water from the tap is already largely free from bacteria, why then do we need to boil water?
“Known carcinogens are found in drinking water as a direct consequence of the practice of chlorination – a long established public health practice for the disinfection of drinking water.”– Francis T.Mayo, Director, Municipal Environmental Research Lab
What Happens When We Boil Chlorinated Water?
Good water should be fresh, with dissolved minerals and oxygen. “Living” water has continuous water molecular movements in contact with oxygen in the air.
Boiling “destroys” oxygen and minerals in the water. In other words, boiled water is “dead” water. In particular, boiling chlorinated water speeds up the reaction between chlorine and humic acid to form THMs.
Though boiling kills bacteria present in the water, it does not completely remove impurities, odour, heavy metals and chlorine. On the other hand, boiling chlorinated water can increase the level of THMs in the water we consume.
Boiling is necessary only when we need to make a hot drink like coffee or tea.
“Chlorine is used almost universally in the treatment of public drinking water because of its toxic effect on harmful bacteria and other waterborne, disease-causing organisms. But there is a growing body of scientific evidence that shows that chlorine in drinking water may actually pose greater long term dangers than those for which it is used to eliminate.
These effects of chlorine may result from either ingestion or absorption through the skin.
Scientific studies have linked chlorine and chlorination by-products to cancer of the bladder, liver, stomach, rectum and colon, as well as heart disease, atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), anemia, high blood pressure, and allergic reactions.
There is also evidence that shows that chlorine can destroy protein in our body and cause adverse effects on skin and hair.
The presence of chlorine in water may also contribute to the formation of chloramines in the water, which can cause taste and odour problems.
Since chlorine is required by public health regulations to be present in all public drinking supplies, it is up to the individual to use a chlorine filter or water filter to remove chlorine at the point-of-use in the home.
– Dr Riddle, Ph.D, Kemysts Laboratory